The 2015 ASDC National Conference
Thursday 24th of September
At-Bristol Science Centre, Bristol
To download the 2015 ASDC National Conference Evaluation Report, please click here.
To see photos from the day, please click here.
This lively one-day national conference brought together professionals from the UK's leading Science and Discovery Centres, Science Museums, Natural History and Environment organisations as well as Public Engagement organisations and science-based visitor attractions. The theme for the 2015 conference was 'Tomorrow's World'.
2015 Conference Guest Speakers
- Andrew Cohen, Head of Science, BBC
- Simon Chaplain, Wellcome Trust
- Jeremy Curtis, UK Space Agency
- Jake Manion, Aardman Animations
- Luke Jerram, Artist
- Tim Peake, UK Astronaut (via video)
- Dr Teresa Anderson, CEO of Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre
- Dr Penny Fidler, CEO of ASDC
- Phil Winfield, CEO of At-Bristol Science Centre
2015 Pecha Kucha Speakers
- Bruce Hood, University of Bristol
- Jo Taylor, Bristol 2015
- Leanne Adamson, The Brilliant Club
- Bridget Holligan, Science Oxford
- Ross Exton, At-Bristol Science Centre
- Naomi Webster,Wellcome Trust
- Rebecca Erskine, Dundee Science Centre
- Andrew Donnelly, Cambridge Science Centre
Sharing Best Practice Discussion Session
For 2015 we introduced an afternoon session of specific round table discussions, led by CEOs and senior experts across the sector. Delegates at previous conferences had told us they would find this hugely valuable. The discussion tables focused on the following topics, based on delegate suggestions:
- Engaging under-represented groups
- Exhibits vs facilitated experiences
- Astronauts and Destination Space
- Science centres of the future
- Inspiring Girls with STEM
- Building Science Capital
- Successful adult only events
- Boosting your school visits
- Boosting your earned revenue
- Boosting Primary Science across the UK
- Marketing Specialists table
- Should we be focussing on Early Years?
- Good Practice in Sharing Good Practice
On the day of the conference, delegates had the chance to sign up for two of the sessions.
Many thanks to our conference sponsors, STFC, and our conference host, At-Bristol Science Centre.